Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pistachio scare

Okay, this story is strange enough that I just have to share it. Rafael went to the grocery store the other day to pick up a couple of things. He took this opportunity to buy a few things that he likes and I never think to buy. One of those was a big bag of pistachios. The next day we got them out and although the kids were interested in what we were eating we could not talk any of them into to trying this mysterious green nut. Even Lydia refused and she usually eats anything and everything especially if we tell her it is good for her. The next day I packed a few containers of snacks to take for the kids during the girls dance classes. I packed a container of pistachios thinking if they were hungry enough maybe I could tempt them to try them. I know if they tried them they would love them. We got to dance and although I looked and looked in my car I could not find the pistachios anywhere and none of the kids knew where they disappeared to either. It's very odd that particular container disappeared but all the other snacks were just where I sat them. This morning I was on the phone with a good friend of mine and in the middle of our conversation I opened the back of my car to put some groceries in and there was the container of pistachios in the very back of my car. I was so surprised to see it back there that I actually said out loud "Oh there's my pistachios!" and then continued on with what I was saying. She stopped me and said "wait a second, did you say something about pistachios?" She then goes on to tell me that there has been a product recall on pistachios due to possible salmonella poisoning. (Thanks Sabrina!!!) Sure enough I go home and look it up and the pistachios we bought are on the list. Of course I have no idea if our pistachios are contaminated although Rafael was up with an upset stomach last night after eating a bowl of them and I read that in healthy adults salmonella could be nothing more than an upset stomach. However small children are not always so fortunate. Pretty scary! What a close call...sure is a lot of strange coincidences in this story huh? Of course I think that it's much more than just coincidence. Someone up there is looking out for us.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

That is pretty scary. Good thing your kids didn't give into you trying to get them to eat the nuts huh.

McCarthas said...

that is way too scary. I am glad all is alright.

MissManda-Mae said...

hahahaha only sabrina would know about every recall on the planet and the date of orgination.... lol! too funny!

David and Courtney said...

That is scary,WOW. So glad the kids didnt eat them.
And by the way i can get up and out of bed any day you wish!!! HA HA

The Bean's said...

Kimberly feel free to reward me at anytime,for saving your family!!!!